Mostly, though, it’s a representation of yourself. Fashion is more than how we dress, it’s a form of self expression. It is how we tell the world who we are, what we are about and how we feel about ourselves. We want the world to know we value and respect ourselves, because we set the bar for how we are treated by others.
I love the laser cut leather in this stunning bag and the tan color is a very flexible option to have in your wardrobe.
2. MICHAEL Michael Kors Selma Studded Tote $428 Zappos
This is a fresh approach to a classic tote, the studs really make it contemporary and add a bit of fun to this style.
3. Dooney & Bourke Button Slouch $525 Dooney & Bourke
I’m in love with this bag. This rich leather is soft and supple and the button detail on the sides is so very pretty.
4. Alice + Olivia Quilted Leather Bag $495 Neiman Marcus
This satchel’s quilting is so lovely, it offers a fresh approach to a timeless shape.
5. MARC by Marc Jacobs Too Hot to Handle Hobo $438 Marc Jacobs
Hobo’s are excellent day bags and this lovely piece here is no exception. Marc Jacobs’ mid range line offers up quality construction and materials.
6. kate spade new york Oxford Street Sloan $495 kate spade
If you like a croc look, take a peek at this fab tote from kate spade, it’s shoulder strap makes is a wonderful length and it comes with a detachable cross body strap.
7. Tory Burch Thea Satchel $475 Tory Burch
This satchel is so gorgeous, the pom pom on the side adds some visual interest and the color here is perfect for any season.
8. Coach Legacy Courtenay Hobo in Leather $278 Coach
This one is on my wish list! Love the color and the option to carry as a shoulder bag or a cross body bag. It has a bit of slouch to it, which makes it work as a casual style but its overall structure keeps it office appropriate also.
9. Coach Poppy Colorblock Tote $348 Coach
This is indeed, a timeless style. A simple black tote has enough room for all your stuff (including an iPad pocket!) and its shape will remain a classic.
- T-Shirts, 3 in neutral tones. I like to find ones that have different silhouettes to mix it up a bit. Here I have a standard scoop neck, a slightly cropped boxy one and a drapey, off the shoulder style.
- Button-down shirts, 2. While white is a classic that most people recommend, I hate white shirts. I always get them dirty. So, I chose an absolute must, the denim shirt and since a sleeveless option is always good to have on hand, I picked this really vibrant magenta blouse for a pop of color.
- Sweaters, 3 in neutrals. There are three basic types of sweaters but they don’t have ‘basic’ at all. Provided you are coordinating with your other capsule items, just choose a pullover, a turtleneck and a cardigan. This cardigan I chose is an awesome boucle fabric with silk sleeves so its warm, but not too warm for spring or fall.
- Tank tops, 2. Now, I say tank tops, but I don’t mean your average, run of the mill cotton tank. Those should be considered disposable items and be replaced every year. These nice tank styles I have picked are sophisticated enough for the office or going to dinner, but still easily dressed down.
- Dresses, 2. This is pretty basic for dresses, but having an LBD (little black dress) that is versatile enough to wear during the day and in the evening is one item EVERY girl should have. Also, a maxi dress is pretty handy on a day when pants just won’t do.
- Jackets, 2. I really like this blazer and leather jacket combo here. The white blazer is super versatile and will add a little office polish to whatever you’re wearing. The black leather jacket is light enough for spring or fall, but can be worn as a blazer in winter.
- Purses, 3. Ladies, listen up. If you are over 30 and don’t have an investment bag yet, start saving. Look for a timeless style (like this tote below) in a quality material – it will last you a lifetime! I won’t say you need to spend thousands, but a quality leather bag is, indeed, a necessity. Also, a cross body bag for errands, concerts and casual days as well as a clutch for your more dressy affairs.
- Accessories, varies. I chose some basic gold jewelry here that mixes well with all my clothing items. A pair of drop earrings, a chain necklace, a watch and a statement necklace can be enough. Add some Spanx, a pair of footless tights, a scarf, a belt and a couple pair of sunnies and you are good to go.
- Bottoms, 4. Every woman should have a quality pair of boot cut jeans that fit like a glove. If you haven’t found them yet, seek out some expert advice. And invest some money in a good pair. One pair of $300 jeans that look amazing and last for years, are a lot cheaper than buying 2-3 pairs of $50 jeans every single year. Welcome to the Finance of Fashion. Also a pair of skinny jeans (less expensive!) an ankle skimming pair of black pants and a neutral toned maxi skirt will round out your intermixing possibilities.
- Shoes, 6. Finally! Some you should consider buying on the high end, like pumps and boots, others like sandals and flats you can pick up for less. I, personally need to replace my sandals every year, as summer lasts like 8 months here! So look for the following for your collection: Pumps in a neutral tone, knee-high boots, a pair of booties, some sandals, flats you can walk miles in and a pair of comfy shoes, like these TOMS.
$365 – harveynichols.com
$250 – johnlewis.com
$38 – johnlewis.com
•Try to add waist definition to your outfits with seam lines or belts
•Wear fitted clothing that skims your body
•Use embellishments wisely, details on the bodice will emphasize the top half and draw the eye to the upper body
•Avoid baggy and shapeless styles
•Consider an open neckline to flatter shoulders and draw the eye upward
$430 – question-air.com
$375 – johnlewis.com
$315 – harrods.com
$27 – asos.com
Inverted triangles have shoulder measurements that are wider than the hips. This is typically an athletic shape.
Goal: balance shoulder width, create visual waistline and add width to lower half. This will provide the illusion of the ideal shape.
•Wear darker colors on top
•Avoid boat neck and off the shoulder styles
•You wear halter tops and strapless styles well
•Choose styles with a horizontal line across the hip to create balance
•If wearing loose clothing, belt at the waistline for definition
•Patterned bottoms look great on you
•Gathered skirts and flared hems look great on this figure
•Look for wide leg trousers to create visual balance on the lower half
When choosing accessories seek out long necklaces and scarves that can elongate the torso. You also wear wide belts well, this can be used to create visual interest in the lower half and draw the eye downward.
Don’t forget to check out The Fashion Refinery on Facebook (facebook.com\thefashionrefinery) or Pinterest (pinterest.com\fashionrefinery) for more information and tips on dressing confidently in today’s best styles.
$440 – harveynichols.com
$61 – debenhams.com
$490 – harveynichols.com
$245 – johnlewis.com